I like a little HEAT to my SWEET!!! But it wasn’t always this way!
To be perfectly honest, if someone had tried to get me to taste Mango Salsa a few years ago, I would have walked away IMMEDIATELY!
The first time I was served Mango Salsa at a friend’s house,
I politely declined dishing it up!
I should have trusted her, she is an awesome home chef and has now become the brains and beauty behind The Organic Kitchen blog and cookbooks-
Before my enlightenment, I wanted my fruity “sweets”
and my spicy “heats”
to be 100% separate from one another- a little like oil and water…
I had no reason to believe the ‘sweet’ and ‘heat’ should ever be united as one!
In a moment of absolute courage and bravery, I decided to take that sweet fruit off the dessert menu,
and mix it with some serious spice…
as I was peeling mangoes,
and thinking they were absolutely perfect-
and I saw the kiwi in the fruit bowl,
and the blackberries on the counter-
I knew I had to get me a mango salsa FIX!
“Hey Kids, who wants mango salsa and pita chips for afterschool snack today?”
Because sharing your Heated Sweets IS the right thing to do!!
Ooh La LA,
That’s all I have left to say,
- 4 mangoes, peeled and cut in dices
- 10 blackberries, cut in half if they are big
- 2 kiwi, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 red oniojn
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 large jalapeno, minced (I keep the seeds in)
- 4 TBSP cilantro, minced
- 1 TBSP crystallized ginger
- small pinch of sea salt
- Cut and prepare all ingredients, mix gently to combine colors and flavors; allow the flavors to sit and stew for 30 minutes if desired.
- We serve this with pita chips as an appetizer and topped on Brown Sugar Salmon for a delicious seasonal treat!